Friday, March 13, 2009

Raw

Today I had a lunch date with my friend, Libby. We went to our favorite lunch spot in Santa Monica . . . Raw, on 6th and Broadway. (http://www.planetraw.com/)

As you can guess by the name, it is a raw food vegan restaurant. I know what you're thinking - you think "Raw food? What is that? Is it all salad? Is it all cold?" The food might actually surprise you. They do have a few warm things on their menu. Mostly they get really creative with freeze-drying things and making surprisingly delicious combinations. For example, today Libby had a "burger" with "fries." I'm not sure exactly what ingredients went into the dish, but it was a veritable cocophany of color and veggies and it all tasted delicious.

That said, today I was a little disappointed in Raw. I was very much expecting to go there, have a great time, and be able to write a stellar review about a fantastic raw cuisine place. But alas, Raw seems to have declined since our last visit.

Don't get me wrong, the food still tastes great. But, they have removed Libby's and my favorite dish from the menu. The pesto "pizza" was truly a foodgasmic experience. I couldn't even begin to tell you what was in it, but it was truly delicious. We voiced our disappointment to the server, and she told us that two other people had made the same complaint just that day.

In addition, Raw's prices have gone steeply up - which, given the current economic climate, does not seem to be the smartest move. I made the mistake of ordering tea and THEN looking at the price on the menu. Since when does one cup of jasmine tea cost over $5???

I'm not going to go so far as saying that I will never eat at Raw again . . . because I probably will. However, Libby and I have decided that next time we'll go to Real Food Daily, which is another vegan restaurant down the street from Raw. I'll let you know how that one goes . . .

Happy eating! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment